Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The White Tiger

One of my goals is to try to read all of the Man Booker Prize winners. Some years I do better than others. I'm happy to say that the 2008 winner, The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga was worth every second I spent reading instead of weeding in my garden. It is a real page turner. The story is told by the protagonist, Balram, through a series of letters that he writes to the Premier of China, who is about to visit India on an official visit. Balram intends to counter what will be the Indian government's official stance on the state of poverty and progress in the country, which he does as he relates the story of his rise from the servant class to wealthy entreprenuer. The story of Balram's family and his life of servitude is at once tragic and laugh-out-loud funny. Highly recommended.

And while I'm at it, I also recommend these stories also set in India:
Sold by Patrcia McCormick,
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, and
The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.

All of these books are available in the library. My favorite book set in India, A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry is not, but it soon will be.

Check them out, and happy reading!

~The Bloggers.

No comments: